- 1 Does Centrelink do Medicare?
- 2 Can you go to any Centrelink office?
- 3 Is Medicare and Centrelink the same?
- 4 What is not covered by Medicare Australia?
- 5 Is Medicare Free Australia?
- 6 Is Centrelink open in lockdown?
- 7 How do I get through to Centrelink?
- 8 How long will it take to process my Centrelink claim?
- 9 What is the best day to go to Centrelink?
- 10 How do I talk to a live person at Medicare?
- 11 What Centrelink can I apply for?
- 12 What are the disadvantages of Medicare in Australia?
- 13 What items are not covered by Medicare?
If you’re affected by restrictions or in self isolation, you can do most of your Centrelink, Medicare and Child Support business with us online or by phone self service. We’re experiencing a high demand for our services due to Coronavirus (COVID-19).
If you still need to visit us, you can choose an appointment from the available times at your local service centre. Our service centre staff also book appointments.
We deliver Centrelink social security payments and services to Australians. We deliver Medicare and related programs, providing Australians with access to some health services at low or no cost.
What is not covered by Medicare Australia?
Medicare does not cover private patient hospital costs, ambulance services, and other out of hospital services such as dental, physiotherapy, glasses and contact lenses, hearings aids. Medicare is the basis of Australia’s health care system and covers many health care costs.
Is Medicare Free Australia?
Medicare is Australia’s universal health insurance scheme. It guarantees all Australians (and some overseas visitors) access to a wide range of health and hospital services at low or no cost. Find out what we’re doing to improve Medicare for all Australians.
In a lockdown area only visit us if it’s essential. You can do most of your Centrelink, Medicare or Child Support business with us online through myGov. If you can’t do your business online, you can call us.
If you need to speak to a live customer service representative in Centrelink customer service you need to dial 132-850.
The time it takes us to assess your claim doesn’t affect your waiting period. You can expect to hear from us within 21 days of submitting your claim. It’s best to submit your claim as soon as possible after your circumstances change.
Jongen says while wait times for services vary, customers are best to avoid periods of high caller volume – Monday mornings, Friday afternoons, and daily lunchtime periods. Demand is also seasonal, with busy times such as the beginning of the school year or financial year reconciliations impacting phone lines.
How do I talk to a live person at Medicare?
You can speak to a Medicare representative by calling their official toll-free phone number directly at 1-800-633-4227 (or 1-800-MEDICARE). For people who have hearing or speech impairments the number to call is 1-877-468-2048, also listed as the TTY number.
Payments you can claim include:
- Child Care Subsidy.
- Stillborn Baby Payment.
- Dad and Partner Pay.
- Family Tax Benefit.
- Parental Leave Pay.
- Parenting Payment.
- Single Income Family Supplement.
What are the disadvantages of Medicare in Australia?
Hospital You might not be able to choose when to be admitted. Medicare doesn’t include ambulance service costs. Medicare won’t cover you for private patient hospital costs, such as theatre fees and accommodation. It won’t cover you for medical and hospital costs you incur in another country.
What items are not covered by Medicare?
Medicare will not cover you for:
- examinations for life insurance, superannuation or memberships for which someone else is responsible.
- ambulance services.
- most dental examinations and treatment.
- most physiotherapy, occupational therapy, speech therapy, eye therapy, chiropractic services, podiatry or psychology services.